Saturday, April 2, 2011

It's Not Always About Losing Weight

I find it sad, that people think they should or have to lift just because they're overweight, out of shape or an athlete in training.

Lifting weights and general exercise can be and should be more than that. Granted, you should have goals established on where you want to be down the road fitness-wise. Yet, there can be so much more enjoyment in lifting if it isn't just about losing those extra pounds or having big pecks or arms.

For me, lifting weights usually is one of the highlights of my day. As a college student it can be easy to get bogged down and depressed about the school load. That's why so many college students feel the need to party and have fun on the weekend. They need that release, that time to take their mind off of school and all the stress that comes with it.

But why wait for the weekend to give your mind a rest?

Taking time out of my day (2 hours usually) to get in the weight room and sweat, grunt and work hard is the best way to get my mind of the stress of school and such. It's just lifting hard and laughing with my buddies; encouraging each other to go that extra pound/rep.

Personally, there's an extra motivation in lifting hard every day. I play college football for a Christian college in Wisconsin. Many of my teammates are like brothers to me. Going through a season, with all the sweat, mud, dehydration, and aching muscles,victories and losses, draws a group of young men together. I lift for my buddies. The stronger and faster I am, the more effective player I am on the field. If I can do my job right, faster and harder than the opposing player, then I'm helping my teammates out. That's important to me.




I realize most people aren't in my circumstances, so it'll be different for everybody. Still, finding joy in lifting makes it a lot less of a drag. Being able to look forward to a solid lift each day can really ease some stress out of your life.

You should try it. Find reasons to enjoy lifting, as with all things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment