Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Dead Lift, Back Strength, and Being Smart

Dead-lifts are great!

They're a great way to work and stretch out those hammies, (actually you should already be stretched out before you dead-lift), but...it's also a good way to strengthen your back. Some people may not realize it, but yes, dead-lifts are supposed to strengthen your back as well as your legs and core.

Now as with any hardcore power lift there's going to be risk of jacking your back. Proper form is a necessity as always.


Lately, I've had to readjust my form in dead-lifting because my spotters told me I was lifting too much with my back and not my legs. Consequently I've had to drop weight. Currently I'm taking about 30% less weight and I've worked on maintaining my form all the way to the ground. NOT dropping the weight but getting that extra bit of work in.

Once I get the weight to the ground I stand up, shake my hands and then do the lift again.

Moral of the story: if your doing something wrong, don't keep on doing it and risk hurting yourself. Instead step back, examine what you're doing wrong and go and fix it. There should be no shame in
it.

Bustin' out a 350 lb. dead-lift and then having a hurt back isn't something to be proud of either.

Lift hard, but lift smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment