Saturday, April 23, 2011

Benefits of Weightlifting

I was doing some research this past week on the benefits of exercise and weight lifting and I was surprised at some the health and psychological pros of weight lifting!

According to Mayo Clinic's website, regular exercise can improve your mood. I can vouch for this one. Days that I don't get into the gym I end up feeling lazy, lousy, and undisciplined. On the flipside, there's the days when I get in one of those solid lifts where my muscles feel shredded( in a good way) and I know that I gave it my all...that's a great feeling!
Regular exercise can also help prevent high blood pressure. If you already have high blood pressure, Mayo Clinic says regular exercising can help lower that high blood pressure. Your cholesterol benefits from exercise too. Exercise boosts HDL, that good cholesterol and reduces the bad cholesterol that leaves plaque in your arteries, thus slowing blood flow. Having good blood supply to your muscles as they work is essential for getting in a good lift.

Last but not least, weight lifting and consistent exercise helps maintain your weight. The more intense the exercise the faster you burn calories. Not only do you burn calories while your lifting but you continue to burn calories after you're done lifting. Your muscles are broken down and in need of repair. Your body has to burn calories to repair itself.

I'm not a medical professional by any means, but I think most of this makes common sense. I you're not training for something specific like football, you still can get these health benefits from weight lifting.

Lift hard.

Sources: wwww.MayoClinic.com
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ01676
Photo from: wwww.powercentering.com
http://powercentering.com/blog/my-favorite-lunatic-core-workout

No comments:

Post a Comment